Have you ever had your mobile phone stolen? I had. Theft of mobile phones is common all around the world.Â In Australia more the 200K cellphones are lost or stolen each year while Britons loose about 700K phones a year according to their reported crime statistics.
And lets face it, mobile phones are easy to steal and then easy to sell. But todays cellphone theft in Russia reached a whole new level. Someone managed to steal a shipment of mobile phones worth aboutÂ $1 million.
According to Russian police a group of persons managed to drive off with a “Reno” truck carrying $1 million worth of mobile phones for one Moscow company. On Tuesday the truck was stopped by 2 persons wearing police uniform. The driver was cuffed and taken to the remote location while other perpetrators tookÂ off withÂ the truck.
Condolences for the Russian company who lost a lot of phones yesterday. Let’s hope they had a lot of insurance.
Source (in Russian)
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- UK man convicted of handling stolen Vertu phones has to repay £1 million
- Employee steals Sony Ericsson phone prototypes, gets caught before unveiling them
- Nokia’s market share shrank to 37% in Q4 2008
- LG is the world’s third largest handset producer, with 100 million phones shipped in 2008
- Samsung to increase phone sales by 20% in 2010 (to 270 million units)