We all know that Sony is quite creative in the development of new gadgets for the home and personal use. We’ve seen quite a few of them over last months – like 3D Game Controller, Multimedia Cradle and Human Body Communication System.
Now Sony Ericsson has another interesting thingy designed for your mobile phone – the possibility for it to download interfaces and act as a remote control for any device.
The idea, described in patent application “Mobile communication terminal with virtual remote control” is pretty simple:
- take a mobile phone with a touchscreen
- add the interfaces for various remotes inside the phone
- add the possibility to download additional interfaces
- make the phone transmit different signals based on different interfaces
…and you have a ready made cellphone/universal remote that can control any electronic device in your home.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Apple iPod/iPhone as a remote control for Apple Media Centre
- Acquasys launches free Boxee Remote for WinMo smartphones
- iTunes 7.7 pre-release version Read Me hints at iPhone/ iPod Touch remote app
- Sony Tablet S doubles as a universal remote control. Hands-on video
- Asus chairman confirms Eee Phone, envisions it as a remote control for the digital home