One of the major antivirus companies Kaspersky Labs announced that they have found the first virus called Podloso that infects iPod mp3 players.
The virus is functional on iPods that have Linux OS installed. So far the virus is not able to run automatically and has to be launched by user. When launched the program scans hard disc of the player and infects all *.elf executable files.
When infected *.elf files are launched, the messageÂ Â«You are infected with Oslo the first iPodLinux VirusÂ»Â is displayed.
Podloso virus does not pose any danger for your devices yet, since it belongs to the “proof of concept” class. The virus is not malicious and, since it requires manual loading by the user, it doesn’t have capability to infect devices of unsuspecting friends.
However now that we have a working “proof-of-concept” it shouldn’t take long to see more dangerous mutations. Good news and more work for Kaspersky and other antivirus vendors, I guess
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- First Trojan-SMS virus for S60 Smartphones
- Samsung Wave S8500 shipping with Trojan-infected MicroSD card?
- New Virus for your JAVA phone
- ‘MMS Bomber’ mobile virus for Symbian spreading fast in China
- Intego releases first iPhone 2.0 antivirus software