One of the reasons that D880 appeal was limited – was it’s high $700 price. To tackle that issue, Samsung today is launching the new, cheaper version of it’s dual SIM handset – Samsung D780 DuoS, which is expected to retail at under 300 EUR without contract.
Instead of the popular and more expensive to produce slider, Samsung DuoS D780 is a simple candybar, with cheaper 2 megapixel camera and smaller 2.1″ QVGA display.
Full specs of Samsung D780 DuoS dual SIM phone include:
- Triband GSM 900/1800/1900 GPRS/EDGE connectivity
- Two SIM card simultaneous support
- 2.1″ 262K color 320×240 px QVGA display
- 2 megapixel camera
- Stereo FM
- Bluetooth 2.0 A2DP
- USB 2.0
- MicroSD memory card slot
- 1200 mAh battery
- Dimensions: 115×49.6×15.7
And if the pictures and specs of Samsung DuoS D780 look familiar to you, well they look familiar for me too.
Very similar, if not the same phone was described as an upcoming Samsung P240 DuoS dual SIM handset by Samsung Russia head Yoonsoo Kim.
Also, just like P240, Samsung D780 DuoS is headed for Russian market first, with the availability in South-East Asia and Europe a bit later.
And D780 sounds to me much closer to D880, while dual SIM card functionality goes much better with “D” prefix, instead of “P” reserved for Samsung luxury branded phones like P520 Armani, and it’s canceled dual SIM Touchscreen handset P720 DuoS.
Given these facts I’m inclined to believe that Mr. Kim might have gotten the model numbers wrong and we are talking about the same handset here. Although you never know, it might just happen that Samsung has another DuoS – P240 reserved too.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Samsung D980/D988 – DuoS with touchscreen
- Samsung intros the dual SIM Champ Neo Duos GT-C3262
- Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Y Duos and Galaxy Y Pro Duos officially announced
- Samsung D880 DuoS Dual SIM card phone
- Samsung S9402 DuoS- a luxury dual SIM card phone