It did not take long for almost complete information about Nokia Tube full touchscreen phone to come out.
It looks like quite a few people were quietly sitting on the story and waited for a first hint from Nokia that they can go forward with the news. And after the first semi-official presentation, they did.
First was a Symbian-Freak with a live photo’s of the Nokia Tube:
Then, NokiaPort.de chimed in with the model number and full specs. The device in the pictures is Nokia 5800 XpressMedia phone.
Nokia 5800 Tube specs include:
- Quad-Band GSM (850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 Mhz), EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA connectivity
- 3.2″ 640×360 px (16:9 ratio) 16M color touchscreen display
- 3.2 Megapixel camera with autofocus
- Wi-Fi, GPS and Bluetooth 2.0
- 140 MB of internal memory
- 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Dimensions: 111x52x14.5mm
- Weight: 104g
Nokia 5800 XpressMedia phone sports tactile feedback, but, unfortunately, comes without multi-touch support. So you’ll have to put up with a standard touchscreen functionality.
To tell the truth, I have a bit mixed feelings about this device. On the one hand, the specs list, apart of the camera, is pretty respectable. It’s also good that Nokia finally decided to move beyond the it’s Xpress Music phones, and optimize new handset for a wider media, including high quality video.
On the other hand, nothing in the feature list, or design really excites me. The only novelty here is a big touchscreen, with what appears to be traditional touch controls. But we’ve seen plenty of that coming out from LG, Samsung, HTC, Asus and plenty of others. And it still remains to be seen how well the touch UI works on a Nokia 5800 XpressMedia phone.
I hope that Nokia has some more and bigger surprises up it’s sleeve, and when they do get about announcing their new flagship device, it will stun everybody like it did with Nokia N95 in the fall of 2006.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Nokia XpressMusic 5800 gets a promo poster
- Leaked: Nokia N85, Nokia N79 and Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMedia in the wild photos!
- Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (Tube) press pic and specs
- Nokia 5800 Tube available for pre-order… Sort of
- Nokia 5800 Tube makes an appearance on The Dark Knight movie