We know all along that the iPhone 3G will be released in India on August 22nd, so Vodafone Essar’s official announcement comes as no surprise. In fact, Vodafone had been taking pre-orders for the iPhone 3G as early as June this year.
Vodafone will offer the iPhone 3G 8GB for 31,000 Rupees ($708 US) while the 16GB model will be 36,100 Rupees ($824 US).
These prices are a bit steep, but then again these are going to be for prepaid units, unlike the carrier-tied $199 units being sold in the US.
At the same time, Bharti Airtel also announced that it will sell the iPhone 3G starting Friday as well. They haven’t tipped us in on their official prices, but a spokesman says they will announce official prices soon.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Vodafone brings down iPhone 3G price in India by $47
- Bharti Airtel and Apple agree to sell iPhone 3GS in India
- HTC Touch Diamond coming to India through Bharti Airtel
- iPhone 3G heading to India via Bharti Airtel
- Bharti Airtel announces Equal Monthly Installment (EMI) plans for iPhone 3G