A phone with an 8 Megapixel camera is nice, that’s for sure. But Samsung knows that a phone with an 8 Megapixel camera and 3x optical zoom would be even nicer.
According to Telecoms Korea, Samsung Techwin and Samsung Electro-Mechanics, two of the South Korean giant’s subsidiaries, have already developed 8 Megapixel camera modules with 3x optical zoom.
The module has an autofocus performance improved by 57%, a 1/2.5 inch CMOS sensor and lens that support F2.85. The module is also a bit bigger than the 5MP one previously developed by Samsung.
A Samsung Electro-Mechanics official unveiled that the first handset to come with 8MP and 3x digital zoom will be released in early 2009.
Even more, the South Korean manufacturer is also working on a 12MP camera module that will be smaller than the 8MP one. There’s no word yet on when this will be integrated into a phone, though.
Source: Telecoms Korea (subscription needed to actually view the article).
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Samsung 8 megapixel Camera phones are (almost) here
- Samsung begins mass production of wireless charging modules for smartphones
- Samsung Techwin produces world’s smallest 8MP camera module for phones
- Samsung AMOLED 12M W880 – officially the world’s first 12MP camera phone with 3x optical zoom
- Nokia X6 coming to South Korea in June