After Windows Mobile 6.1, everyone has thought Windows Mobile 7 would follow. Well, not really. The next iteration of Microsoft’s mobile OS is now officially confirmed to be Windows Mobile 6.5.
There have been some rumors regarding WM 6.5 in the past few days, but now Steve Ballmer himself said that the new OS will come sometime in 2009, followed by Windows Mobile 7.
More exactly, Microsoft’s CEO attended the Telstra Investor Briefing 2008, in Australia, where, among lots of other things, he said:
With releases we’ll make this year – releases we’ll make with 6.5 next year, Windows Mobile 7 - I think we have a pretty interesting roadmap.
(Steve Ballmer and Sol Trujillo, Telstra’s CEO)
Unfortunately, Mr. Ballmer did not mention what will Windows Mobile 6.5 bring to top the 6.1 version we currently have. But I’m sure these details will appear pretty soon.
If you want to view a webcast of the whole Telstra Investor Briefing 2008 event, you can do it here.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Steve Ballmer: Windows Mobile 7 will come in 2010
- Windows Mobile 7 already in testing, LG says it’s coming this year
- Microsoft picks on Android and Symbian; Windows Mobile not going the open source way
- First Windows Mobile 6.5 images surface
- Ballmer: Zune is Coming to Next Windows Mobile