In an attempt to reduce the energy waste in the UK, O2 has just launched a new energy efficient mobile phone charger that works with most of the handsets currently on the market.
Named O2 Universal Charger, the new product is approximately twice more efficient than a regular mobile phone charger, cutting up to 70% of the wasted energy.
The charger meets the energy efficient guidelines of the US Energy Star rating and features a power control system.
The O2 Universal Charger is the first product of this kind released by a UK mobile carrier. It can be purchased as of now, from all of O2’s UK stores, for £14.99. When bought together with a new handset, the Universal Charger costs only £7.49 (offering available until December 31, 2008), while separate connection cables are sold for £4.99.
O2 says that about £30 million are wasted every year in the UK because of the improper use of cell phone chargers, so its new Universal Charger might save quite a lot of money, provided that most of the mobile consumers will use it.
Via Press release
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Carphone Warehouse outs Eco Charger for Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson
- MicroUSB Standard Now Backed by ITU
- Nokia 3110 Evolve Environment Friendly Handset
- Micro USB phone charger standard to be adopted next year by Nokia, Samsung, Apple and others
- Mobile industry giants to adopt universal chargers for phones by 2012