Someone “familiar with the matter” told CNBC that the brand new Palm smartphone will be a US exclusive on Sprint at least until the end of 2009.
Of course, for the moment, an exact release date for the Pre is not known, but if Sprint manages to launch it in the next few months, then it will have quite a long exclusivity period.
First unveiled in January 2009, Palm Pre is not just one of Palm’s nicest devices ever, but also one of the most eagerly expected smartphones of the year, so it’s no wonder Sprint wants to sell it as long as it can with exclusive rights.
As for its availability in non-US markets, the Pre will probably be released sometime in mid-2009 in Canada and various European countries (details about the carriers to sell it are currently missing).
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- AT&T might sell the Palm Pre too, after Sprint’s exclusivity ends
- Is the Palm Pre going to be a Best Buy exclusive?
- Palm Pre appears in the wild again; might be released on June 9
- Carphone gives free airline tickets to Palm Pre buyers
- #CES 2010: Verizon’s Palm Pre Plus and Pixi Plus announced; Sprint users should be jealous