Orange Android blitz: Sony Ericsson, Motorola Android phones, HTC Hero, Cupcake updates and more

While vendor enthusiasm (at least verbal) for Android platform is very high, it’s adoption from mobile operators has yet to be confirmed.

Yes, many of them already launched HTC G1/Dream and are prepping HTC Magic, but these look more like a  trial things, to see how the new OS handsets fare with users.

Well, it seems that at least one major wireless operator is seriously hooked on Android.

French site Mobinaute had someone from Orange France spill the beans about their Android plans for this year.

And they look mighty impressive –  at least six more Android phones will be launched by Orange in 2009, from 5 different brands. Including Android phones from Sony Ericsson, Motorola, LG, Samsung and HTC.

htc-hero-android

The second Orange HTC Android phone will be HTC Hero, first seen in HTC 2009  roadmap leaked in January. Few weeks later it will be followed followed by HTC Android phone in a different form factor.

Orange confirmed that Android “Cupcake” update for HTC Dream will be available to it’s customers in late April. Followed by another “major” Android update a month later.

Orange also indicated that it is pretty happy with the revenue sharing model of Android Marketplace and will heavily promote it.

As we know, 70% percent of Android Marketplace app price goes to the app developer, with the other 30% shared between Google and mobile operator. According to Orange – “Google is pretty generous with revenue sharing”.

Author: Stasys Bielinis

While I like to play with the latest gadgets, I am even more interested in broad technology trends. With mobile now taking over the world - following the latest technology news, looking for insights, sharing and discussing them with passionate audience - it's hard to imagine a better place for me to be. You can find me on Twitter as @UVStaska'

Share This Post On
  • orangephones

    Orange phones are successfully completed without being cut off prematurely, compared with calls made on other uk digital mobile phone networks.

  • orangephones

    Orange phones are successfully completed without being cut off prematurely, compared with calls made on other uk digital mobile phone networks.