At the beginning of the year, Nokia promised that its own app store, called Ovi Store, would be available starting May 2009.
And, as of toady, the service is indeed available – at least for users in Australia, Singapore, Ireland and Spain.
As AllAboutSymbian reports, this is a soft launch and more countries should be able to access Ovi Store in the next few days.
This is what Nokia Ovi Store should look like on N97 and 5800 XpressMusic:
You can try and download/install Ovi Store on you Nokia S60 smartphone by doing the following:
- open Download, choose Options > Refresh content
- go to Nokia Extra’s Category – an entry for Ovi Store should be there
- download and install the Ovi Store app
- after it’s installed, Ovi Store should be accessible via the Installations / My Extras (or similar) folder
Nokia will probably make a formal announcement regarding the availability of Ovi Store in the days to come.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Fring adds support for more handsets, Nokia N86 8MP included
- Nokia Ovi Store now serves more than 1.6 million downloads per day
- Nokia Ovi Store now available for AT&T subscribers
- Nokia’s Ovi Store Enables Re-downloads
- Nokia Reader for Symbian touch smartphones launched