Apple has just announced its brand-new, third-gen iPhone, which is officially called iPhone 3G S (and will probably be referred to as iPhone 3GS – without the space between 3G and S).
Most of the credible rumors about the new iPhone, appeared over the last few months, are now proved to be correct.
First of all, the iPhone 3G S will have two versions: 16GB and 32 GB, available in the US starting June 19.
The price of iPhone 3G S 16GB is of $199, while the iPhone 3G S 32GB will be available for $299 – both prices requiring a new 2-yr contract agreement with AT&T.
Other 80 countries around the world will get the iPhone 3G S “in the coming weeks”.
Apart from a larger storage capacity, iPhone 3G S also brings:
- iPhone 3.0 OS (including more than 100 new features, like MMS, Cut, Copy and Paste, landscape keyboard, Spotlight Search and so on)
- Built-in digital compass for instant navigation
- 3 Megapixel camera with autofocus, a “tap to focus” feature, and VGA video recording (no Flash though)
- Voice control
- HSDPA 7.2Mbps
- Enhanced speed and performance, “up to twice as fast as iPhone 3G”
- Improved battery life
No major changes when it comes to design, so the iPhone 3G S looks pretty much like the now-old iPhone 3G (you could actually say it’s the same device).
And speaking of the iPhone 3G, starting today, the 8GB model is available for only $99.
Other interesting info:
- iPhone OS 3.0 will go live on June 17, “as a free software update via iTunes 8.2 or later for all iPhone customers”. To upgrade an iPod touch, you’ll have to pay $9.95
- MMS will be supported by AT&T only in “late summer”, so US customers who buy the iPhone 3G S won’t be able to use the feature from the beginning.
Via Press release
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- iPhone 4 pre-orders start today in the US, UK, France. T-Mobile Germany announces tariffs
- New details on the next iPhone’s specs: 32GB, digital compass and more
- AT&T’s iPhone 3G and 3GS to get MMS support on September 25
- Virgin Mobile USA officially launching iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 on June 29
- Samsung Galaxy S III (16GB and 32GB) officially priced in Taiwan