Coming as the third Android product from HTC, the Hero is a G1-meets-Magic device, combining the looks of the first with the elegance of the second one.
It has the now-famous “chin”, but it doesn’t feature a hardware keyboard. That’s all right, I guess, since Android 1.5 OS, on which the Hero runs, has a software QWERTY keyboard.
It’s said that the white version of HTC Hero (seen below) is dressed in a Teflon coating, which should help you handle it easier. No word yet about the handset’s other color versions.
The main specs of HTC Hero include:
- 3.2 inch fingerprint-resistant touchscreen display with 320 x 480 pixels
- GSM and HSDPA connectivity
- 3.5mm headset jack
- Google Maps, Google Streetview and various other Google apps / services
- 5MP camera with autofocus, but without Flash
- MicroSDHC card support
HTC has also announced a new software interface, called HTC Sense. This will apparently run on all the upcoming HTC smartphones (both Android and Windows Mobile), so I wonder, what will happen to the TouchFLO 3D UI?
HTC Sense, also known as “Rosie”, includes three different layers: “Make it Mine”, “Stay Close” and “Discover the Unexpected”.
“Make it Mine” lets you personalize the device and add any widget you like, while “Stay Close” provides an overview on all forms of communication you made through your phone – including calls, messages and social networking websites.
HTC Hero with the Sense UI will be available in Europe starting July. Its price was not announced.
Update: Orange UK will be the first carrier to offer the HTC Hero, starting early July. The smartphone will come in a graphite color version, for free on select plans.
Here’s a video preview with the HTC Hero:
And here’s another video, straight from HTC:
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- HTC Tattoo (Click) announced, ships in October
- Orange UK launching the HTC Hero tomorrow
- Pink HTC Hero to be available in the UK this month
- HTC Hero approved by FCC, AT&T 3G bands included
- HTC Hero costs €99 in Spain with an Orange contract