As just reported, Motorola is busy working on its Android Morrison device which will launch on T-Mobile in late October. But Motorola has another device up its sleeves that will be launching on Verizon around the same timeframe.
Called the Motorola Sholes, it is rumored to be operating on the Android 2.0 OS and is expected to be one of the first out of the gate for Verizon. Android and Me has confirmed the Sholes’ specs with tipsters over the weekend, and of course we will be happy to share that information with you as well.
First, the Sholes now has some actual pictures to go along with the rumors. Check them out below.
The Motorola Sholes should include:
- OMAP3430 – 600 MHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX 530 GPU + 430MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)
- Dimensions 60.00 x 115.80 x 13.70 mm
- Weight 169 g
- Battery Li-ion 1400 mAh.
- Standby 450 hours, talk time 420 minutes
- 3.7-inch touch-sensitive display with a resolution of 854×480 pixels, 16 million color depth. Physical screen size is 45.72 mm by 81.34 mm.
- 512MB/256MB ROM/RAM
- microSD / microSDHC expansion slot
- Camera: 5.0 megapixel with autofocus and video recorder
- Connectivity: USB2.0, 3.5mm audio jack, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, Wi-Fi
- Supported audio formats: AMR-NB/WB, MP3, PCM / WAV, AAC, AAC +, eAAC +, WMA
- Supported video formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264, WMV
It had been hoped that the Sholes would include the Snapdragon processor for even higher speeds, but 600 MHz is still a highly competitive and workable spec for a first-gen Android device. According to Android and Me, “Native support for OpenGL ES 2.0 + hardware acceleration from the PowerVR SGX 530 = mobile gaming device more powerful than a Sony PSP or Nintendo DSi.”
That’s HUGE. And we can’t wait to see future devices with even more powerful processors.
All of the other specs look great though. While no exact release date is rumored, it is anticipated to show up in time for Thanksgiving at a $199 price point.
via Android and Me
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Motorola Sholes to hit AT&T too, Android 2.0 Eclair included
- More Motorola Sholes Tablet (XT701) photos, Android 2.1 confirmed?
- Motorola Sholes Tablet, Motus and Zeppelin coming soon?
- Motorola Sholes Tablet appears in leaked photos
- Motorola Q gsm e-mail phone for 2.5G GSM networks