When Microsoft announced it’s Windows Phone 7 Series OS, everyone was pretty impressed with the new innovative Panoramic User Interface.
Well, the guys at Microsoft seem to be pretty impressed with themselves too. They think they’ve found a new perfect UI paradigm for a mobile device, that moves beyond tired PC desktop user experience. And they want to have it for themselves, without others getting into a game with some copycat UI.
The way to do that? Get a patent for the whole damn thing.
And this is what Microsoft is trying to do now. Looks like they’ve been working on the new panoramic UI since at least the summer of 2008, and already filed a patent application for “Panoramic user interface” in September that year.
Well, this is probably the first of the patent applications for the new Windows Phone 7 Series OS, and there will be quite a few more to come. Also, there’s still a question of how much of the concepts USPTO will deem to be true inventions.
But, if Windows Phone 7 Series catches up the the hype it is getting now, duplicating the thing just got more difficult for competitors.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- #MWC10: Windows Phone 7 Series UI video preview
- Confirmed: HTC HD2 won’t be upgraded to Windows Phone 7 series
- Microsoft: something involving HTC HD2 and Windows Phone 7 may be announced soon
- Microsoft unveils Windows Phone Marketplace, Windows Phone 7 Series dev tools and more
- Microsoft drops “Series” from Windows Phone 7 Series