But before unveiling iPhone OS 4, Steve Jobs mentioned that there are more than 185,000 apps in App Store, which served more than 4 billion downloads worldwide. He also talked about device sales: more than 50 million iPhones sold and more than 450,000 iPads sold.
OK, so let’s see what iPhone OS 4 has to offer. Perhaps the most important new feature is multitasking – yes, Apple will finally enable multitasking, allowing you to use location-based services, VoIP, social networking and so on, at the same time. Steve Jobs admitted that they weren’t the first to bring multitasking to a smartphone, but he’s confident they’re going to be the best in doing it.
Other new features in iPhone OS 4 include:
- Folders – you can create folders that include other icons on the homescreen
- Enhanced email, including unified inbox, threaded messaging and multiple Exchange accounts
- Game Center, which is some sort of a social gaming network
- Enhanced enterprise capabilities
- iAd – a new mobile advertising solution. Apple will sell and host the ads, 60% of the revenues go to developers. Ads will “keep you in your app.”
- iBooks (already available on the Apple iPad)
Even more new features: tap to focus on video, support for Bluetooth keyboards, 5x digital zoom, geotagging, “gift apps”, spell checker, and the ability to change the homescreen wallpaper.
Live photos via Engadget:
No word yet about a possible deal between Apple and Verizon.
iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 3rd generation will run iPhone OS 4 with all its new features. iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2nd generation will run iPhone 4 OS with most of the new features, but some – like multitasking – won’t be supported. iPad will also get iPhone 4 OS, but only in the fall.
The iPhone SDK 4 beta is available as of today – get it here at Apple.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- iPhone 4.0 OS to finally enable multitasking?
- Apple schedules iPhone OS 4.0 event for April 8
- More info on iPhone 4.0 OS: multitasking via Expose-like interface
- Steve Jobs about the Apple Tablet: “the most important thing I’ve ever done”
- Apple to come with an iPhone 3G S 8GB?