The story of this alleged real new iPhone started over the week-end, when Engadget posted some photos of an iPhone-like handset, claiming that it was the iPhone that Apple would launch this summer.
Said handset looks more like the first-generation iPhone – its back case isn’t as rounded as the one the iPhone 3GS has.
Not long after the device appeared, someone pointed out that it’s just a counterfeit product.
Today, however, Gizmodo has lots of photos and some videos of the same device, and they’re saying this is, indeed, the new iPhone.
Reportedly, the handset “was found lost in a bar in Redwood City, camouflaged to look like an iPhone 3GS.”
Gizmodo says it’s real because: it has multiple components labeled Apple; it’s recognized as an iPhone when you connected to a PC; it was reportedly running iPhone 4.0 OS before this was even announced; it has the overall quality of an Apple iPhone.
So here’s what the new iPhone apparently brings:
- the display is slightly smaller, and yet it looks like the resolution is higher, possibly 960 x 460 pixels – that’s weird (at least), not to mention the fact that 960 x 460 pixels is simply too much for a screen under 3.5 inches
- there’s a front-facing camera for video calling
- the camera on the back has a larger lens (5MP, or maybe 8MP?) and flash
- metallic buttons for power, mute and volume
- the back is made either out of some sort of glass, or shiny plastic
- the sides are made from aluminum
- there’s a micro-SIM slot instead of a standard SIM one
- larger battery (5.25 WHr at 3.7V)
Photos and video of the alleged iPhone 4G / HD:
Even if this is an Apple product (and it certainly seems to be), there’s no way of telling that the fourth generation iPhone will look like it. Since this seems to be just a prototype, Apple might actually change its design. I guess we won’t know the whole truth until Apple decides to officially unveil the new iPhone (on June 22).
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- iPhone 2 pictures leaked?
- Intel confirms plans for Atom-based iPhone-like mini-tablet?
- Apple iPhone 3G Product RED Special Edition and iPhone Air, which one is legit?
- Apple’s iPhone 4G / HD shows up again (in Asia)
- Fan-made iPhone Pro mock-up looks like it was delivered straight from the future