As expected, today Apple has announced the fourth generation iPhone, which is not called iPhone 4G, and neither iPhone HD, but simply iPhone 4.
Steve Jobs says that iPhone 4 represents “the biggest leap since the original iPhone.” The new handset looks a lot like that leaked prototype we’ve seen many times until now.
It’s 9.4mm thick (“24% thinner than the iPhone 3G”), and it comes with a 3.5 inch so-called “Retina Display”, which features “326 pixels per inch” – that’s 960 x 640 pixels. “There has never been a display like this on a phone” says Steve Jobs, adding that the IPS technology used by the new display is “quite a bit better than OLED.” No mention of Samsung’s Super AMOLED display, though.
Here are some of the new features the iPhone 4 has:
- iPhone OS 4 – which has been renamed to “iOS 4″ for some reason
- 3-axis gyroscope (great for gaming)
- 5MP camera with LED flash, tap to focus and “backside illuminated sensor” which should make photos taken in low-light conditions look better
- HD video recording (720p at 30fps)
- Front-facing camera for video calling (video calling will be made via an app called FaceTime; sadly, it will work only via Wi-Fi this year, but Apple is working with carriers to make it available via 3G, too)
- Better battery – up to 300 hours of stand-by time
- iMovie (available for $4.99 in App Store)
- Netflix (available for free later in the summer)
- iBooks (like on the iPad)
- iAds – “to help developers make money”
The Apple iPhone 4 will be available in both black and white. Prices are as following (no surprise here, really):
- iPhone 4 16GB – $199
- iPhone 4 32GB – $299
The new iPhone will be available starting June 24 in 5 countries (US, UK, France, Germany and Japan). Pre-orders start on June 15. iPhone 3GS now costs $99.
iPhone OS 4 aka iOS4 will be made available starting June 21 to iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and iPod touch owners, for free.
(photos via Engadget)
Official iPhone 4 photos should be unveiled pretty soon, so we’ll make sure to update this article.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- The real new Apple iPhone (4G, HD) apparently shows up (video)
- New iPhone 6 / 5S to go on sale in July, cheaper model in August?
- AT&T blocks employee vacations in June, new iPhone launch re-confirmed?
- June 22 iPhone HD / 4G announcement date confirmed?
- After iPhone 5S, Apple could launch an iPhone 6 with larger display (in June 2014)