The HTC Droid Incredible has been suffering from supply shortages since the very first day it was released. The reason for this is not only the high demand, but also the fact that Samsung can’t produce enough AMOLED displays for HTC.
The display problem might be solved soon (with HTC turning to Sony and its Super LCD displays), but things still don’t look good for HTC .
According to AndroidGuys, Verizon now allows customers who pre-ordered a Droid Incredible to “cancel their order and get the Motorola Droid X instead.” Of course, the Droid X is not yet available, so you’ll still have to wait until July 15 to have it – but that’s sooner than the date you’ll be getting the Droid Incredible (which “will be shipped by July 26”).
AndroidGuys also suggests the Droid Incredible might be phased out (like the Droid Eris), but I really don’t think this will happen – after all, that’s why HTC is ditching Samsung’s displays in favor of Sony’s, to make sure it can ship all its high-end smartphones (even if this won’t happen too soon).
Anyway, in case you’ve pre-ordered the Droid Incredible and Verizon didn’t send it yet, you may want to check with the carrier and see if you can change the order and get a Droid X instead. The phones’ prices don’t differ ($200 on contract), and both are great devices.
With the Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S) also coming soon to Verizon, the future looks rather bleak for HTC right now (at least when it comes to its partnership with this particular carrier, which happens to be the largest in the US).
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Verizon Droid Incredible ->Droid X exchange confirmed for July 15th. Incredible won’t be phased out
- HTC Droid Incredible shipments pushed back to August
- Verizon Motorola Droid X now available, $199.99 on contract, $569.99 full retail
- HTC officially switches to Sony SLCD displays. Nexus One and Desire to benefit
- Verizon kills the Droid Eris; Droid Incredible still delayed – Motorola couldn’t be happier