Marketing efforts will only begin on August 23rd, which is when the ‘official’ release may happen.
What’s even more interesting is that reports indicate that there will be a Star Wars-themed special edition Droid 2 that will come with a white R2D2 on the back plate.
Motorola had to license the use of the word Droid from Lucasfilm, creators of the Star Wars movies, so this hook-up is both cool and not entirely unexpected.
It’s not clear if the special edition Droid 2 will launch at the same time as the vanilla handset, which might be a crucial detail for those now drooling after the R2D2-themed smartphone.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Verizon Motorola Droid 2 R2-D2 edition will be previewed this week at Star Wars Celebration V
- Verizon Motorola Droid 2 officially announced: available tomorrow with Android 2.2 on-board
- Verizon’s Motorola Droid 2 R2-D2 limited edition officially arrives this Thursday
- New Angry Birds Star Wars coming to Android, iOS, Windows Phone and Kindle Fire on November 8
- Motorola Droid Xyboard 8.2 (Xoom 2 Media Edition) gets pictured with Verizon 4G LTE branding