A software update is on its way to AT&T Samsung Captivate owners. Before you jump out of your seat to celebrate, chill. It’s not Froyo. It’s just a minor update.
It’s so minor, in fact, that it doesn’t address the widely reported GPS fix issues that the Captivate has for some of its users. According to AT&T, it “is not intended to resolve all device reset or freezing issues.” So, if you were previously having any of these problems, this update won’t fix them.
Not the best of news. But, if you somehow weren’t affected by any of the above, there’s still some news packed in this 12 MB update that will take your phone’s firmware version from I897UCJF6 to I897UCJH7. Here’s what it will bring:
- Preinstalled software – QuickOffice for Android will allow users to edit various Microsoft Office documents.
- Messaging – Exchange 2003 support, MMS and other messaging enhancements.
- Voice – Improved calling experience.
- Media – media scanning time improvements.
Not the longest list of enhancements by any stretch of the imagination. Still, it’s always good to run up-to-date software.
The roll-out of this update has already started. It’s being pushed in batches of 15,000 through Friday, which, by my math, means AT&T has sold around 60,000 Captivate smartphones so far. If true, that really isn’t a number to brag about, but then again, this is the carrier that is home to the iPhone.
You can manually check for the update, but, as you can see from the above image, once you do, you can’t check again before 24 hours have elapsed from your last attempt. Strange, this, but rather typical of AT&T’s ways, some would say.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- AT&T Samsung Captivate gets GPS problem fixed after all
- Sprint HTC EVO 4G gets an update which may boost its framerate past 30 fps
- Microsoft’s first Windows Phone 7 update bricks some Samsung Omnia 7 handsets
- T-Mobile’s Samsung Galaxy S III gets updated to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- Froyo update for the Samsung Galaxy S finally starts rolling out in the UK