Vodafone seem pretty keen on continuously expanding their portfolio of own-brand phones and smartphones. The previous global announcement regarding the Vodafone handset line took place in April and unveiled the first Android-powered Vodafone device, the 845.
Vodafone’s second Android smartphone, the 945, was just announced today. This one is clearly a step up in features and specifications from the 845, though it’s not meant to be a replacement, as they’ll both be selling side by side.
The Vodafone 945 features:
- Android 2.1
- a 3.2-inch WQVGA (240×400) capacitive touchscreen
- HSDPA, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth
- 5 megapixel camera with flash
- 300 MB internal memory, microSD card slot
- Colors: black or silver
If priced accordingly, this could sell very well thanks to its good spec sheet and prove to be a worthy competitor to Orange’s San Francisco (which has a bigger and higher-res screen but a lower megapixel count). The San Francisco’s price, however, is rather tough to beat.
Alongside the 945, Vodafone also introduced the 553. This is a budget touch+QWERTY device. As such, it features a 2.8-inch touchscreen and a side-sliding full QWERTY keyboard. There’s no fancy smartphone OS here, as this is a featurephone. It comes with Opera Mini 5 preinstalled and Vodafone’s 360 People address book.
Other notable features of the Vodafone 553 include a 2 megapixel camera, Bluetooth, FM radio and a microSD card slot.
Both phones will be available in time for the holiday season. The 553 will be aimed more at the pre-pay/pay as you go market.
Pricing is not available yet, but these are (or should be) budget devices after all, so don’t expect anything that will break the bank.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro and Vivaz Pro now available in India
- Vodafone UK now sells the BlackBerry Pearl 3G, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro and LG GT540 Optimus
- Vodafone UK now taking pre-orders for the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play and Xperia Arc
- HTC Desire Z and Desire HD specs leaked
- US Cellular launches the LG Attune, a rebranded Cosmos Touch