CTIA is like Christmas coming twice a year because of all the goodies that come out of the show itself. CTIA is officially opening the show floor later today but we’ve seen plenty of pre-conference meetings and announcements showing up already. This one is the Droid Pro, which looks absolutely nothing like any of the other phones from the Droid series; this one appears to be more Blackberry-like in nature, as a candybar with 3.1 touchscreen display and full QWERTY keyboard meshed together on top of Froyo goodness.
From what I can tell from the press release, the Droid Pro will be more focused toward the business customer; “designed for work and play”.
Here’s the spec list:
- Memory – 2 GB internal, 2 GB microSD included
- Camera – 5 MP with autofcous and dual-LED flash; HD video recording capabilities
- Battery – 1420 mAh (with extended battery available at 1860 mAh)
- Display – 3.1″ touchscreen, HVGA 320×480 resolution
- DNLA connectivity
- Blur push capabilities (without actually having the full MOTOBLUR)
- Flash player 10.1
- Quickoffice preloaded
- 1 GHz OMAP 3620 CPU
- 512 MB RAM
- 3G mobile hotspot for up to 5 devices
- “dual diversity” antennae
So far I’m liking what I’m reading about the Droid Pro. From the press pics, it looks like a rather robust device as well. I’ll withhold any more opinions until I can have a full hands-on with it.
Read below for the full press release!
|Click to download
SAN FRANCISCO, CA — From CTIA Enterprise & Applications™ 2010, Verizon Wireless, the company with the nation’s largest and most reliable wireless 3G network, and Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) today unveiled DROID PRO, a new, powerful, stronger and faster solution designed to meet both business and personal needs. The first Android™-based smartphone optimized for business use, DROID PRO is also a global-ready Android smartphone from Verizon Wireless, allowing customers to enjoy wireless voice service in more than 220 countries and data coverage in more than 200 countries.
DROID PRO meets employers’ and employees’ needs by addressing the productivity tools businesses require, including corporate connectivity and security; full push corporate e-mail with corporate level security; unified calendar with additional work features; pre-loaded Quickoffice Mobile Suite, a powerful 1 GHz processor; 4 GB of memory (2 GB internal; and 2 GB removable) and a QWERTY keyboard designed for speed and convenience.
“DROID PRO combines the feature-packed, high-level user experience that customers look for in an Android smartphone plus the security that enterprises require, all with the reliability of Verizon Wireless’ 3G network,” said Mike Lanman, president – Enterprise and Government Markets for Verizon Wireless. “DROID PRO builds on our commitment to deliver the best Android experience to the marketplace as well as to our enterprise customers.”
“The DROID PRO is an advanced business-ready solution that provides users with the full smartphone experience, redefined by delivering the power of a DROID,” said Sanjay Jha, chief executive officer of Motorola Mobility. “The DROID PRO consolidates users’ work and personal needs. This is just another reason the DROID PRO is setting a new standard for enterprise, allowing users to enjoy all the benefits of a smartphone with full push delivery of corporate e-mail and corporate level security.”
Key features and specifications:
- Support for both Exchange e-mail and Gmail™ for business
- Corporate directory look-up, unified calendar for Enterprise and sync with Google Calendar™
- PC-like browsing with Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 on a full, multi-touch, 3.1-inch brilliant display built on Android 2.2
- View, edit and share documents, including Microsoft Excel® spreadsheets, PowerPoint® presentations and Word® documents
- Built-in security features, including AuthenTec IPSec multi-headed VPN integration, remote wipe of device and SD card, and complex password support. Device and SD card encryption will be available in early 2011
- 3G Mobile HotSpot capabilities – Allows customers to connect up to five other Wi-Fi®-enabled devices and laptops
- Live widgets that stream e-mail messages to the home screen; customers can filter the widgets to separate work and home e-mail
- 5-megapixel camera with auto focus and dual LED flash as well as DVD-quality video
- 3G diversity antennae provides customers with enhanced data speeds and range
- Wi-Fi®-enabled DNLA® connectivity
- Android Market™ – Provides customers with access to more than 80,000 applications
- My Verizon and Backup Assistant(SM) support – Allows customers to manage their wireless accounts or their contacts from their phones
Pricing and availability:
- DROID PRO will be available at www.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores in the coming weeks. Pricing will be announced closer to launch.
- For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
You can reach Brad on Twitter at www.twitter.com/phonewisdom.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Verizon having doubts about selling Playbook
- Verizon Motorola Droid Pro officially available on November 18, pre-orders start tomorrow
- Blackberry Professional Software for Small Business Offered by AT&T
- #CTIA 2010: AT&T Announces Workbench iPhone App For Enterprise
- Motorola Pro Announced, is Europe’s Version of DROID Pro