Verizon Announces Motorola CITRUS, to be Light on Wallet
This particular handset will be overshadowed by the Droid Pro when CTIA officially begins tomorrow, no doubt. It just doesn’t have all the same bells and whistles, but the newly announced Motorola Citrus will be geared toward the entry-level Android crowd, or anyone who is looking to get into their first smartphone but wants to keep the cost down and still get most of the same functionality.
The Motorola Citrus will be a budget Android phone that is eco-friendly (made of 25% post-consumer recycled plastic) and features Android 2.1 being overlapped with Motorola’s signature MOTOBLUR UI. It appears to be a touchscreen-only phone that should be relatively light and small, making it a very tempting option for anyone who doesn’t need the biggest and best phones coming out today. No price announced yet, but we have to believe that Verizon will make this one pretty budget-friendly, considering that’s the crowd it’s supposed to be marketed to. It will be coming out Q4 2010, which means it should be released right before the holidays.
Here’s a pic of the Citrus as well as the press release:
|Click to download
SAN FRANCISCO, CA — From CTIA Enterprise & Applications™ 2010, Verizon Wireless, the company with the nation’s largest and most reliable wireless 3G network, and Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) today unveiled Motorola CITRUS™. Powered by Android™ 2.1, Motorola CITRUS delivers an affordable, entry-level, customizable smartphone experience in a compact design that is easy on both the eyes and the earth.
Key features and specifications:
- Curved design
- Easy-to-use, on-screen QWERTY keyboard (available in landscape and portrait modes) for quick messaging
- Full HTML Web browser – Preloaded with Bing Search and Bing Maps and delivers a PC-like Web browsing experience with quick access to Web apps and services such as Facebook®; Google services such as Gmail™, Google Talk™ and YouTube™
- Equipped with BACKTRACK™, a touch panel located on the back of the device that enables users to navigate and scroll through websites, home screens, e-mails, music and more without obstructing the display
- Full capacitive touch screen display delivers fluid flick, swipe and pinch-to-zoom navigation
- Seven home screen panels that can be tailored with an array of available shortcuts; applications; and pre-loaded widgets such as sticky notes, weather, messages and calendar
- Android Market™ – Choose from thousands of downloadable apps, many of which are free
- CITRUS has a housing made from 25 percent post-consumer recycled plastic, is certified CarbonFree® through an alliance with Carbonfund.org, and is PVC and BFR free. The packaging is made from 80 percent post-consumer recycled paper, and the user manual is made using 100 percent recycled paper and soy-based ink.
Pricing and availability:
- Motorola CITRUS will be available at www.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores in Q4 2010.
- For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
You can follow Brad on Twitter at twitter.com/phonewisdom.