There were two rather important things that Sony Ericsson left out of their announcement of the LiveView Android bluetooth accessory: how much it will cost and when it will be available.
Today we have more details on both. Its price will apparently be €69 (about $97).
The shipping details are a bit funny, to be honest. Sony Ericsson might have the LiveView ready for shipping even now, but they can’t do that for an ironic reason: if they did, it wouldn’t work with any Sony Ericsson device out there, only with phones from the competition.
Why? Well, the LiveView is only compatible with phones running Android 2.0 and above. And none of Sony Ericsson’s Android smartphones are on anything other than Android 1.6 at the moment. So the LiveView will ship whenever the update to Android 2.1 for the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 will be released.
Word is, that will happen sometime in November.
This looks like an interesting accessory and I’m glad someone is doing stuff like this in an Android world otherwise obsessed with 4″+ displays and 1 GHz+ processors right now. Not that those are bad things, but something innovative and distinctive could really make a manufacturer stand out in the sea of Android OEMs.
And the LiveView might help Sony Ericsson do just that, who knows.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Sony Ericsson LiveView will hit the UK on November 19
- Sony Ericsson LiveView “micro display” Android accessory announced (video)
- New Sony Xperia with 4.3 inch AMOLED display from AU Optronics coming in H2
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread upgrade for Sony Ericsson Xperia 10 coming this summer
- Sony wants to buy Ericsson’s stake in Sony Ericsson