Just a few days ago Sony Ericsson announced that the software update to Android 2.1 for the Xperia X10, X10 Mini and X10 Mini Pro would start rolling out this past Sunday – at least in some markets. Left out of that announcement, however, was any mention of Sony Ericsson’s other Android smartphone – the Xperia X8. This device has only been on the market for a few weeks, but it’s still sporting Android 1.6.
A company spokesman told PCWorld today that the Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 will be getting an update to Android 2.1, and by the end of this year. No specific details have been made public yet. It’s unclear why the update for the X8 didn’t go out at the same time as that for the X10 line. All we know right now is that more details about the X8′s upgrade will be available in the near future.
Of course, there’s a big chance that by the time Sony Ericsson get around to updating the X8 to Android 2.1, Android 2.3 Gingerbread will already be out. But, like owners of Sony Ericsson’s other Android smartphones, those who have an X8 won’t need to worry about that – as previous leaks had it that none of Sony Ericsson’s current Android devices will even be updated to Android 2.2 Froyo.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 will get Android 2.3 Gingerbread in August
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread upgrade for Sony Ericsson Xperia 10 coming this summer
- Confirmed: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 will not get updated to Android 2.2 Froyo
- Android 2.1 update for the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 range delayed until October
- SE plans to bring Android Ice Cream Sandwich to its 2011 Xperia lineup