Perhaps unhappy with how sales of the Torch 9800 are going, RIM now reportedly wants to launch a new BlackBerry slider that should be smaller and cheaper than the first one.
BBleaks has it that the new slider smartphone will be “entry-level” – this means carriers could offer it for under $100 on contract.
Of course, the Torch 9800 is itself $99.99 on contract at AT&T as of Monday, so the upcoming BlackBerry should be offered for $50 or something like that.
There’s no word yet if the new slider will run BlackBerry OS 6 – although it should. Being smaller than the Torch, the handset might come with a SureType keypad instead of a full QWERTY one – it could look like the mockup seen above. More details as we get them.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- BlackBerry Torch 9810 4G will be launched by AT&T on August 21
- BlackBerry Torch 9800 finally available in Canada, at Rogers and Bell
- BlackBerry Colt to be RIM’s first QNX smartphone?
- New BlackBerry Torch 9860, Torch 9810, Bold 9900 and Curve 9360 to be launched by Bell soon
- Nokia C3 and BlackBerry Pearl 3G (9105) coming soon to Vodafone UK