Although it’s been available for about a month, we still have no official sales numbers for Windows Phone 7 – or more specifically, the sales numbers for the devices that it runs on.
The closest we ever got was a market research source saying that during the first day of sales in the US, 40,000 WP7 devices were sold. Still, even after that, Microsoft hasn’t said anything official, and neither have the various WP7 phone manufacturers.
However, it is possible to glimpse at a minimum number of WP7 devices sold so far, by analyzing the number of users that the integrated Facebook app has. Of course, we can’t assume that anyone who bought a WP7 device has connected it to his or her Facebook account, which is why we can only refer to a minimum number.
Right now, that number is 135,134. So, to translate, it’s safe to say that at this point there are at least 135,134 WP7 devices out in the wild. Not an impressive number by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s still early days for Microsoft’s newest mobile platform effort. The upcoming holiday shopping season will clearly impact these numbers in a positive way, so let’s not pass any judgement just yet.
Or who knows, perhaps the majority of WP7 users aren’t Facebook users. We’ll probably find out soon enough what the case is, when Microsoft decides to advertise some official numbers.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Is Microsoft too embarrassed to tell us about stalled WP7 sales?
- Microsoft pays mobile developers to create apps for Windows Phone 7
- Windows Phone 7 released to manufacturers
- Record-breaking 3.7 million Android devices were activated this past weekend, iOS close by
- HTC sales crashed 30% in November. LTE Verizon Rezound and AT&T Vivid didn’t help against iPhone 4S