First of all, let’s talk about the Nexus S.
Apart from being the world’s first Gingerbread handset, it’s also the first to feature a Contour Display with curved glass screen and Anti-fingerprint coating – so at least from this point of view it is a unique device. The screen is a 4 inch Super AMOLED one with 480 x 800 pixels.
More specs and features:
- Quad-band GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- Tri-band HSPA: 900, 2100, 1700 MHz (yup, no 3G for AT&T, only for T-Mobile – we’re talking about the US here, of course)
- Three-axis gyroscope
- Digital compass
- Proximity sensor and light sensor
- Wi-Fi 802.11 n/b/g
- NFC (Near Field Communication)
- Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR (why not Bluetooth 3.0?)
- Google Maps with free Navigation
- Dedicated Graphics Processing Unit
- 3.5mm headset jack
- 5MP autofocus camera with flash and 720 x 480 video recording
- Front-facing VGA camera for video calling
- 1 GHz Hummingbird processor
- 16GB of on-board memory
- 1500 mAh Lithum Ion battery (Talk time: up to 6.7 hours on 3G, 14 hours on 2G. Standby time: up to 17.8 days on 3G, 29.7 days on 2G)
- 123.9 x 63 x 10.88 mm
- 129 grams
Nexus S official video promo:
In the US, Google Nexus S will be available starting December 16, either unlocked, or with a T-Mobile contract (Best Buy stores will have it). in the UK, the new Nexus will be launched on December 20 via Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy.
Update: Best Buy announced that the Nexus S would cost $199 on contract, and $529 unlocked.
The official Google Nexus S website can be found here.
As for Android 2.3 Gingerbread, this comes with:
- NFC support
- User Interface enhancements “for simplicity and speed”
- One-touch word selection and copy/paste
- Internet (VoIP/SIP) calling
- Video calling support
- Enhancements for gaming
- Mixable audio effects
Android 2.3 Gingerbread official video presentation:
You can check out all the new features included in Android 2.3 Gingerbread here at Android Developers.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Google Nexus S available at Best Buy starting 8AM this Thursday
- Official Google Nexus One video tutorials
- HTC-made Google Nexus One officially announced, buy one today
- Nexus S showed off by Google CEO. Android Gingerbread to arrive in the coming weeks
- GSM Samsung Google Nexus Prime GT-I9250 hits the FCC. Headed to Europe?