As the launch date for the Samsung Google Nexus S approaches (it’s this Thursday in the US), the leaks intensify and more and more details make it into the open.
We’ve already found out about Best Buy’s official policy of not letting any one individual buy more than two Nexus S smartphones, and not having a pre-order phase – which effectively means they are doing everything possible to ensure there will be lines outside stores on Thursday. Related to that, if you were wondering if it was even worth camping outside a Best Buy hoping to get your hands on a Nexus S, you were left in the dark, as Best Buy has not issued any official comment on how many devices each store will have.
Which is where this leak comes in. Android and Me has received word from a tipster about the launch quantities for the Samsung Google Nexus S. And according to that source, these are as follows:
- Big box Best Buy locations that sell T-Mobile contracts in store will have on average 35 units on Thursday
- Big box Best Buy locations that do not sell T-Mobile contracts in store will have on average 4 units on Thursday
- Best Buy Mobile locations that sell T-Mobile contracts will have on average 72 units on Thursday
- Best Buy Mobile locations that do not sell T-Mobile contracts will have on average 4 units on Thursday
- There will be plenty of transferring product around from Best Buy to Best Buy to even out counts as needed, but these are the numbers shipping to stores
- There will be plenty of units for orders placed online and shipped to the customers
These numbers are not officially confirmed, so do take them with a pinch of salt. And, of course, if you’re desperate to get a Nexus S on day one, you’ll still need to get to a Best Buy store before or at 8 AM on Thursday. If you aren’t that desperate, it’s a safe bet that you’ll be able to find a device on Thursday in stores that sell TMo contracts. For those that don’t, shortages will probably happen at some point during the day, given their low estimated Nexus S quantities.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Google Nexus One will no longer be sold online
- Google Nexus S now available in the US, ninjas have already unboxed it
- Google Nexus S available at Best Buy starting 8AM this Thursday
- Limited stock of Motorola Droid X available at launch?
- Google Nexus S for AT&T launching on July 24 via Best Buy