AT&T has just announced that, starting tomorrow, January 7, it will be selling the iPhone 3GS for only $49 on contract (to both new and upgrade-eligible existing customers). That’s $50 less than the smarptohne’s current price on AT&T ($99).
What could this mean? Well, apart from the fact that more customers will afford to get an iPhone (not an iPhone 4, but still), it could – and probably does – mean AT&T is getting ready for the all-but-confirmed iPhone launch via Verizon Wireless.
If previous rumors are to be believed, Apple and Verizon might launch a CDMA iPhone this quarter, so AT&T doesn’t have too much time left to tie new iPhone customers in new 2-yr contract deals.
AT&T didn’t say anything about the iPhone 4 pricing, so this won’t be affected – well, at least not for the moment.
Via Press release
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- CDMA iPhone 4 (for Verizon?) to come in Q4
- Verizon to finally launch an iPhone in 2010?
- Verizon iPhone to be finally announced on January 11 (it’s no iPhone 5)
- Rumor: iPhone 5 will be a dual-mode CDMA+GSM device
- iPhone to hit T-Mobile USA next?