Back in September of last year, a nasty rumor made the rounds, substantiated by a leak of what supposedly was an internal Sony Ericsson update roadmap for its Xperia line of Android smartphones. According to that document, the Xperia X10, X10 Mini and X10 Mini Pro, as well as the X8, would all be forever stuck on Android 2.1, as Sony Ericsson had absolutely no plans to update any of the aforementioned handsets to Android 2.2 Froyo.
And today Android Community has received official confirmation from Sony Ericsson that the Xperia X10 will not ever get past Android 2.1. There was no mention of the little Xperia X10 Mini and X10 Mini Pro or the X8 though, so that may still maintain some hope for owners of those devices, though I really wouldn’t hold my breath. Chances are, if the leak from last year was right for one phone, it will be for all.
Sony Ericsson would obviously rather have you buy its just-announced Xperia Arc instead of bothering to keep the X10 up-to-date, but this move is unlikely to result in anyone praising the Swedish-Japanese company’s ethics any time soon. Let’s see if the Xperia Arc will ever receive an update to a newer version of Android, and how long it will take.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 will get Android 2.1 this year
- Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 line and X8 won’t get Froyo
- Sony Ericsson rolls out pinch to zoom update for the Xperia X10 worldwide
- Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 will get Android 2.3 Gingerbread in August
- #MWC10: Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro, Xperia X10 Mini and X10 Mini Pro (video)