One of the small things Apple’s iPad and other tablets are missing for now – is a kick-stand. But the lack of it can sometimes make overall tablet use experience a bit annoying.
E.g., when I sit down at a table for my morning coffee, browsing through stuff with an iPad lying in horizontal position. It’s a tad uncomfortable. I usually tend to put a couple of books or some other stuff under it, to get my tablet upright a bit.
I know that a kick-stand may interfere with pristine iPad design. Still, Apple has enough design skills to make it look right. And they may eventually do it, if Apple’s patent application called “Multiple position stand” ever becomes a reality.
The patent application describes an interesting kick-stand, that can hold iPad sized device in upright position at multiple angles and both in portrait, and landscape orientation. It takes some clever engineering, but we know Apple is really good at that.
Now if Apple just decided that sometimes function should win over design, and put their minds to it… I would really love to see this kick-stand on an iPad 2.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Before iPhone, Apple wanted to put RF Modules into our hand bags, shoes, clothes and cars to connect iPods
- Apple’s next generation iPad to be called iPad 2S, not iPad 3?
- Is Apple warming up to iPhone stylus idea?
- Apple files for iPhone/iPad haptic feedback system patent. Already explores manufacturing options
- New iPhone Docking Station. Apple Tablet next?