The Palm Pre 2 was always going to eventually be sold by Verizon, but perhaps no one anticipated just how long it would take for that to happen. The device, the first one to run webOS 2, was unveiled back in October, and has since become available in the US in unlocked form.
Now it looks like Verizon will finally launch it on February 17. That’s if the information in a leaked internal product page from a third party retailer is actually true, or actually what it claims to be. According to that (see image below), the launch will happen on that date in “all channels”.
Which would be perfectly fine, except HP is hosting a Palm-related event on February 9 where they’re expected to unveil the next generation of webOS devices – tablets, for sure, but perhaps smartphones as well. In which case, the Palm Pre 2 on Verizon will be immediately rendered uninteresting by comparison.
So an odd timing from Verizon. Since the new devices probably won’t hit the market immediately after they’re announced, if you just must have a Palm smartphone before the new ones are available, the Palm Pre 2 on Verizon will be your best choice.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Palm Eos (Pixie) not coming this year?
- New Palm smartphones (P120, C40) coming soon to Sprint?
- HP to host a Palm WebOS event on February 9, may launch new smartphones and tablets
- HP to launch two Palm WebOS tablets this year, one of them will be out in September
- WebOS 1.0.4 available for the Palm Pre