Acer Iconia Smart (phone) may get Honeycomb. Iconia Tab A100 and A500 tablet hands on preview #MWC11
Not to be outdone in Android tablet and smartphone game Acer today expanded their Iconia offering with 2 new tablets and one smartphone.
The smartphone, called Acer Iconia Smart, is a strange one. Acer’s slogan for it is “100% Smartphone. 100% Tablet”. Well, with 4.8” 1024x480px 21:9 aspect ratio display Iconia Smart kinda achieves that. But, as in most cases when you are trying to be 2 different things at once, you aren’t very good at any one of them.
For a tablet, Iconia Smart’s display is just too narrow and small. I don’t think that anything with a screen smaller then 7” can be a good tablet. As for a smartphone, Iconia Smart is actually is too long. It doesn’t get as bad as it got with the original Dell Streak, this smartphone is narrower, and it actually feels like a phone in your hand. But it still is a bit too big for my taste.
Acer Iconia Smart specs are:
- 4.8” hXGA (1024×480) TFT LCM 16M color display
- Qualcomm MSM8255-1, 1GHz CP
- 512MB of RAM, 8GB of ROM
- Android Gingerbread 2.3 with Acer UI 4.2
- 8 megapixel camera with 720p HD recording, 2 mpx front camera
- A-GPS and GNSS (Russian Glonass GPS) chip
- G sensor, Light sensor, Proximity sensors, eCompass, Gyro-meter
- HDMI Out (support up to 1280×720),Support LCD/HDMI Dual Display (LCD output video control bar, HDMI output video content)
- 1500 mAh Battery
- Dimensions: 141.7 (L) x 64.5 (W) x 13.6 (H) mm
- Weight: <185g (metal battery cover)
Overall it didn’t blow me away, but if size is not an issue, Acer Iconia Smart looks like a really powerful Android smartphone. Knowing Acer, it should be available at a pretty attractive price for the specs it carries.
And Acer Iconia Smart may be upgraded to the Android Honeycomb or some subsequent Android 3 version. At least that’s what their rep told me at Acer pavillion. But when pressed about it, he was not so sure and finally came up with the line that “Acer Iconia will be upgraded in the future. It may be Android 2.x or Android 3.x, the decision haven’t been made yet. (see video below)
In addition to the hybrid Iconia Smart, Acer also had two real tablets on display. They were – 7” Acer Iconia Tab A100:
and 10.1” Acer Iconia Tab A500:
There’s nothing much to say about these two tablets. Acer promises that Iconia Tabs will ship with Android Honeycomb, but for now they both only had Android Froyo on them, so there was no point in more extensive hands- on testing.
Both Iconia Tabs are well built and well specc’ed Tegra 2 Android tablets, which, most likely, will be offered at a pretty attractive price. All these Acer goodies are scheduled to arrive in April/May.
Check out the video of Acer Iconias, where we talk about whether Iconia Smart will get Android Honeycomb or not:
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Acer Iconia Smart, Iconia Tab 500 and Iconia Tab 100 launched in India
- AT&T announces Acer Iconia Tab A501 with 4G and Android 3.0 Honeycomb
- 7-inch Acer Iconia Tab A100 will finally be released in August for $300
- Acer’s Iconia A100, A500, A501, and W500 tablets get prices and release dates in the UK
- Acer Iconia Tab A501 with 3G now available in the UK for £534