Another week, another rumor about Apple devices with different screen sizes. Over the course of the last two weeks we have heard endless rumors about Apple considering a new iPhone “nano” that would appeal to the low-end part of the market, and the iPhone 5 would likely have a larger screen. We even heard rumors that the aforementioned rumors are untrue. Now, we have heard rumblings about a smaller-sized iPad under consideration to be launched this fall.
Superapple.cz broke the news of the rumor from one of its sources who has been reliable in the past, it claims. Apple has a couple different screen sizes it is considering, both are just shy of 6 inches. This would put the device’s size halfway between that of an iPod Touch and that of an iPad.
One thing we’re not sure of is if this would be another iPad added to the lineup, or if it would replace the current model (or even iPad 2, for that matter). I have a feeling it would be an additional option to choose from.
It’s hard to know for sure if these rumors hold any merit. Here are some of the points of argument:
- We’ve been hearing for years about an iPhone Nano, and a smaller iPad ever since the current model came out almost a year ago. So these rumors are nothing new. The difference is, it’s getting stronger and harder to ignore (come to think of it, that’s how the Verizon iPhone rumor wagon worked too).
- Apple CEO Steve Jobs said at a quarterly earnings call in October 2010 that his company won’t consider iPads of other sizes due to the hardships this places on app developers. It’s much easier to develop an app that will fit on 3 different screen size options (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad) than it is to develop one that fits on 5-6.
- However, John Gruber of Daring Fireball fame strongly believes that there will be an iPad 3 announced sometime this fall, likely in September, to complement the usual iPod Touch refresh. This would be a great “one more thing”, as a 6-inch iPad would be an ideal iPod Touch/iPad hybrid device. 2011 could be considered the year that Apple finally offers choice in its device lineup, instead of the “one size and carrier fits all” strategy.
- I think another large question Apple is considering is: how many more units would be sold with the new screen sizes (whether iPad or iPhone) on the market? How much demand is there for a 6-inch iPad at the moment?
I really have no idea whether Apple is going to release smaller versions of its current lineup, but one thing I’m betting on is that Apple is at least thinking about it. These rumors have flown for a while and are finally starting to stick. That’s usually a pretty strong indication that even if Apple doesn’t jump right away, something is being worked on for consideration.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- iPhone 5 Now Rumored to Feature a 4-inch Display, A5 Dual-Core Processor
- New, smaller Apple iPad in the rumors again
- Apple’s next iPhone will arrive in fall 2012 with a completely new design, rumor says
- iPad 3 may launch on March 7 with LTE, smaller 8-inch iPad in the works too
- Apple launching two iPhones this year, both 4″. Or maybe three, with a 4.8″ monster included