Miracles do happen sometimes: Sony Ericsson has just announced that an official upgrade to Android 2.3 Gingerbread would be released for the old Xperia X10. This comes not long after the company had stated that the X10 would not be upgraded beyond Android 2.1.
The 2.3 Gingerbread upgrade will be rolled-out starting late Q2 / early Q3 – so it should be available before August.
Sony Ericsson intends to bring “similar software and functionality to Xperia X10” as you’ll find in the company’s new smartphones: Xperia Play, Xperia Arc, and Xperia Neo (which will all be released in a few weeks across Europe).
More details on the Gingerbread upgrade for the X10 are available at the official Sony Ericsson product blog.
SE didn’t say anything about Gingerbread for the Xperia X10 Mini and Xperia X10 Mini Pro – which likely means they’ll be stuck with Android 2.1, as already reported.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc and Play getting Android 2.3.3 upgrade next week?
- Confirmed: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 will not get updated to Android 2.2 Froyo
- SE plans to bring Android Ice Cream Sandwich to its 2011 Xperia lineup
- Pre-orders for the new Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro start in the UK, £239.99, shipping August 5
- Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 will get Android 2.1 this year