Google’s Android Market has surpassed Apple’s App Store as the largest collection of free applications, according to Dutch firm Distimo’s April 2011 report.
The App Store’s troubles do not end there, however, as Distimo expects the Android Market to eclipse Apple’s in total size within five months. They predict that “If all application stores maintain their current growth pace, approximately five months from now Google Android Market will be the largest store in terms of number of applications.”
In terms of relative growth (percentage increase in size), Apple’s App Store was also among the slowest performers. Even though their absolute growth is strong, they still come up short against the Android Market.
Although the data is admittedly “based purely on the average month-over-month growth figures that could easily accelerate or slow down,” Distimo still claims it reflects what they believe “may” happen.
Via All Things D
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Android Market reaches 20,000 apps, obviously still behind the Apple App Store
- Windows Phone 7 Marketplace now has more than 9,000 apps
- Windows Phone 7 Marketplace Reaches 8000 App Milestone; Quickly Approaching 10K
- Google now activates 550K Androids per day. 135 million devices sold. Market reaches 250,000 apps
- Opera Mini usage shows rapid growth in 2009