Google announced today that a new version of the tablet specific OS, named Honeycomb 3.1, would be coming to tablets in the near future and would come pre-loaded with the Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1.
The first tablet to get Honeycomb 3.1 will be the first tablet that got Honeycomb, the Motorola Xoom. Here is a list of the main features of Honeycomb 3.1:
- Open Accessory API. This new API provides a way for Android applications to integrate and interact with a wide range of accessories such as musical equipment, exercise equipment, robotics systems, and many others.
- USB host API. On devices that support USB host mode, applications can now manage connected USB peripherals such as audio devices. input devices, communications devices, and more.
- Input from mice, joysticks, and gamepads. Android 3.1 extends the input event system to support a variety of new input sources and motion events such as from mice, trackballs, joysticks, gamepads, and others.
- Resizable Home screen widgets. Developers can now create Home screen widgets that are resizeable horizontally, vertically, or both.
- Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) Applications can now receive notifications when external cameras are attached and removed, manage files and storage on those devices, and transfer files and metadata to and from them.
- Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) API for audio. Developers can directly manage on-demand or interactive data streaming to enable VOIP, push-to-talk, conferencing, and audio streaming.
One other cool feature is the support for a number of USB peripherals which will allow the you to use different controllers and keyboards with the tablet. No word yet on when other tablets will get Honeycomb 3.1, so if you don’t have a Xoom you’ll just have to wait until Google decides to roll it out for the rest of the pack.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Asus Eee Pad Transformer Android 3.1 update now rolling out in Europe
- Wi-Fi to replace Bluetooth?
- Acer Iconia Tab A500 and ASUS Eee Pad Transformer to get Honeycomb 3.1 in June
- Motorola Xoom Android 3.1 update starts tomorrow in India
- Android 3.0 Honeycomb Previewed on Mysterious Motorola Tablet