While announcing the brand new iOS 5, Apple has also unveiled some general iOS stats.
First of all, we’ve found out that more than 200 million iOS devices have been sold until now.
According to Apple, 25 million of those are iPads – so the company sold 6 million iPads since March this year, when the number of units sold was reported to be 19 million.
Apple didn’t say how many iPhones it sold to date. However, we know that there were 100 million units sold in March. We also know that the company shipped more than 60 million iPod Touches as of the same month. Certainly, there have been several more million iPod Touches sold since then – let’s say 5 million at most. This would mean iPhone sales hit 110 million (probably more, though) by now. So, about 10 million iPhones were sold since March.
The conclusion: customers bought 6 million iPads and (at least) 10 million iPhones in the last three months. That is something.
Also interesting: it took Apple three years to sell the first 100 million iOS devices (since June 2007, when the OS was called iPhone OS), and only one year now to ship another 100 million (from June 2010 to June 2011). 100 iOS million devices in one year – that’s comparable to the total number of Android devices shipped since Google’s OS was first launched (September 2008).
Other iOS stats:
- 14 billion apps have been downloaded via App Store. If you remember, back in April 2010 Apple announced that App Store had served 4 billion downloads. So there have been 10 billion new downloads since then. Wow. Just for compassion, Android Market served only 4.5 billion downloads as of May this year.
- there are more than 90,000 iPad-specific apps available
- 225 million iTunes accounts with credit cards
- 50 million Game Center users
- iPhone 4 is the second-most popular camera device on Flickr (see the image below)
(photo via This Is My Next)
The bad news amidst all these impressive stats is that the new iOS 5 will not be released until fall.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Apple Boasts 100M iPhones, 15M iPads Sold
- Apple’s revenue and net profit up year-on-year, but it only sold 26 million iPhones in Q2
- Apple Q1 results: doing so great that it’s getting boring. 35M iPhones and 12M iPads sold, 600K apps
- Apple sold 14.1 million iPhones this quarter
- 6.9 Million iPhone 3Gs sold until now, Apple says