HTC recently announced that it would unlock the bootloaders on all future devices, but it was too late for them to implement the policy on the Sensation 4G.
A few concerned members of XDA forums contacted HTC and asked them whether or not the Sensation 4G would eventually be unlocked for bootloading. Here is HTC’s response:
We are currently developing new bootloader unlocked software for your phone. HTC is still committed to allowing our customers to unlock the bootloaders if they wish, however we are still implementing the policy and many updates were already finalized prior to our change in policy. We apologize for the inconvenience, but be assured that we are working on a solution for our customers and our commitment has not changed. Please stay tuned to our official channels for ongoing updates on how we will be implementing this policy.
This is good news for prospective HTC Sensation owners(Release date of June 15th on T-Mobile), although HTC does need to notify customers which previous device models will receive the update and when the update will be issued. Hopefully the update will be issued not to long after the Sensation’s release. It’s nice to see HTC keeping to its promise and attempting to please device owners.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- First HTC devices to get ICS? Sensation, Sensation XE and 4G at the end of March. Others to follow
- White HTC Sensation with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on board coming to the Netherlands on March 1
- HTC Sensation XL Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update now rolling out
- T-Mobile HTC Sensation 4G receives software update which improves battery life and overall stability
- Motorola RAZR Developer Edition with unlockable bootloader now up for pre-order in Europe for €499