Good news if your smartphone of choice is an HTC Evo Shift 4G on Sprint. The update to Android 2.3 Gingerbread is now imminent.
As you may know, the Evo Shift 4G was launched running Android 2.2 Froyo, and an update to Gingerbread was promised. Well, now it’s almost here.
According to information leaked to Android Police, the update will start rolling out over-the-air on Monday, June 20. As the rollout will probably be staggered (OTA updates usually are), the update may not reach your particular phone on Monday, it may take a few days.
However, there’s a way you can get the update starting tomorrow. Yes, on June 17 the update will become available for those who force their phones to check for updates manually. So if you don’t mind doing that, you’re mere hours from running delicious Gingerbread on your Evo Shift 4G.
To make the phone manually check for updates, go to Settings > System Updates > HTC Software Update > Check Now and hit OK and Yes when needed.
You won’t be able to use the phone while it’s updating (it takes about 10 minutes). After updating, your phone should run software version 2.76.651.4. Alongside Gingerbread’s usual feats and enhancements, HTC and Sprint have also bundled Swype in this update.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Sprint LG Viper Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update now rolling out
- Sprint’s HTC Evo Shift 4G and Samsung Replenish also get some update love
- Sprint HTC Evo 3D gets a minor software update
- T-Mobile HTC Sensation 4G Android 2.3.4 update is rolling out
- Sprint’s HTC Evo 3D gets a software update that improves battery life and security