According to Sprint’s official product listing for the Samsung Epic 4G, the smartphone now ships with Android 2.3 Gingerbread preinstalled. Last week we heard that the Epic 4G may be updated to Android 2.3 Gingerbread this month, and the fact that newly sold devices are already shipping with the new OS version certainly seems to point to that being the case.
Unfortunately we don’t have any more details about when those who’ve bought an Epic 4G in the past should expect their phone to pop up an update notification, but we’re hoping it’s soon. The Samsung Epic 4G shipped last summer with Android 2.1 on board, then got updated to Android 2.2 Froyo (though a bit late), and is now on Gingerbread.
That’s pretty nice for Epic 4G owners. The smartphone isn’t cutting edge anymore, but it’s still a decently specced handset now living the upper-midrange life. If you’re suddenly interested in picking one up, just go to Sprint and after you agree to part with $149.99, you’ll be able to do just that.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Android 2.3 Gingerbread update may be out this month
- Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Android 2.3 Gingerbread update finally rolling out
- Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 Froyo update delayed until October in some countries?
- Samsung Galaxy S to get Android 2.2 Froyo upgrade… eventually
- Sprint drops Samsung Epic 4G price to $199, but Amazon has it for $99