Those of you who own a Motorola Defy bought from T-Mobile UK should know that this is a big day. The operator has just announced that the update to Android 2.2 Froyo for the Defy units sold through T-Mobile is now available, almost on schedule. About one full year after Android 2.2 Froyo was first introduced, three months after the update went live for those who bought their device from T-Mobile USA, and almost one month after it was released in the UK, here you are, lucky TMo Defy owners, getting updated to it.
Before you ask, know that at this rate an update to Android 2.3 Gingerbread will probably never officially make it to your device. I don’t see Motorola supporting this smartphone with updates until December (when one year from Gingerbread’s announcement will have passed).
So enjoy what you can, while you can. The Froyo update brings neat things like a faster browser, the ability to install apps on the SD card… you know, things that owners of other brands of Android smartphones have been enjoying for the better part of a year.
So, to get this update, you need to go to Motorola’s special download page here. Make sure you select “MOTODEFY T-Mobile UK” as your phone model. The updating procedure requires the use of a computer. It’s all detailed on this page. For full information about what’s included in the update, read this PDF.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- T-Mobile Motorola Defy Android 2.2 Froyo update now available
- UK: T-Mobile Motorola Defy Android 2.2 Froyo update comes at the beginning of July
- Motorola Defy will only get Android 2.2 in Q2 2011, Motorola Milestone XT720 stuck on Android 2.1
- Android 2.2 Froyo update for US Samsung Galaxy S owners coming “as soon as possible”
- Motorola Defy Android 2.2 Froyo update now available in the UK