Yesterday we brought you what at the time we thought was good news, namely that the Samsung Epic 4G started showing up online on Sprint’s official product listing page as shipping with Android 2.3 preinstalled. Understandably, that was great for would-be Epic 4G owners, but also for those who have had their Epic 4Gs for a while, since it may have signaled that an update for those Epic 4G devices in the wild was imminent.
So we hate to break this to you today, but it turns out that it was just a typo. Why would someone make such a cruel typo? We don’t know, but Android Central checked with Sprint and the official answer was that no, the Epic 4G isn’t shipping with Gingerbread, despite what their site says.
This is obviously not cool, so if any of you went and bought an Epic 4G purely in the hope that it would come with the latest version of Android on it, perhaps you should start checking that returns policy just about now. And Sprint should probably start checking these things more thoroughly in the future.
Anyway, what this all means is that we aren’t really one step closer to a Gingerbread update for the Epic 4G this month, as we thought we were yesterday. So we’ll just have to wait and see what happens. And we’ll keep you posted.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Android 2.3 Gingerbread update finally rolling out
- Sprint Samsung Epic 4G now ships with Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch now available to order online
- Sprint’s Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch may get its Ice Cream Sandwich treat on July 12
- Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Touch pre-orders start for $149.99, shipping on September 16