About a month after it was launched internationally for unlocked and unbranded devices, the Android 2.3 Gingerbread update for Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Android smartphones sold by Vodafone Australia is now available.
The carrier itself announced the good news on Twitter. The update won’t come over-the-air and requires a computer in order to be downloaded and installed. You need to use Sony Ericsson’s PC Companion software. Full instructions are available here.
After updating, your phone will run Android 2.3.3. The update brings the usual Gingerbread bits, alongside a few Sony Ericsson-specific additions. Probably the most notable of those is Facebook inside Xperia, Sony Ericsson’s pervasive Facebook integration throughout the OS (with apps, phonebook, and calendar). The music player now has an equalizer, and there’s a new photo widget as well. You’ll also get Wi-Fi hotspot functionality and USB tethering.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Rogers Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc Android 2.3.3 update now available with Facebook inside
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo Android 2.3.4 update now available
- Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 will get Android 2.3 Gingerbread in August
- Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Android 2.3 Gingerbread update now available
- Sony Xperia S Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update now rolling out