Good news if you own an HTC Merge bought from US Cellular. The update to Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread has finally been made available by US Cellular and HTC, and that means you’re no longer stuck running a version of the operating system that’s more than one year old. Not that Gingerbread has just been launched or anything – after all, it’s been out for 9 months now.
Still, it’s good to see even upper-midrange Android smartphones sold by second-tier carriers get updated to the latest version of the OS.
The update brings all the Gingerbread bits and blobs, alongside HTC’s Sense UI customized for Gingerbread. A walkthrough guide of all that’s new in this release is available in this PDF.
Sadly, the update won’t arrive over-the-air. So you’ll have to use a computer to install it. Furthermore, it will have to be a Windows computer. You’ll need to install the HTC Sync application and update afterwards. The entire procedure is nicely detailed in this PDF.
Please note that updating will erase all your data on the device, so make sure you back things up first. When you’re ready to update, go to US Cellular’s dedicated page here.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- US Cellular Samsung Mesmerize Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread update now available
- AT&T Pantech Crossover Android 2.3 Gingerbread update now available
- C Spire’s Samsung Galaxy S and Motorola Milestone X finally get updated to Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update finally available
- AT&T Samsung Captivate Android 2.3 Gingerbread update finally available