According to Engadget, the company has confirmed that “beyond Gingerbread 2.3.4, we plan to upgrade our 2011 Xperia smartphone portfolio to the next Android platform made available to us.” Certainly, Ice Cream Sandwich is not specifically mentioned here, but it’s understandable that this is the “next platform” Sony Ericsson is talking about.
The plans regarding the ICS update have been reportedly discussed on SE Netherlands’ Facebook page, too. However, that post doesn’t exist anymore, and it looks like the Facebook account has disappeared entirely.
In any case, you can expect to get a taste of Android Ice Cream Sandwich if you have one of these SE smartphones: Xperia Arc, Xperia Arc S, Xperia Play, Xperia Neo, Xperia Neo V, Xperia Ray, Xperia Pro, Xperia Mini, Xperia Mini Pro, and Xperia Active. Most probably, updates will start rolling-out next year (but that’s just my guess).
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Confirmed: Android Ice Cream Sandwich coming to Sony Ericsson’s Xperia 2011 lineup
- Sony Ericsson’s 2011 Xperia line will get Android Ice Cream Sandwich
- Android 4.0 ICS updates for Sony Xperia Arc and Neo rolling-out now
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Play won’t be updated to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich after all
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc and Play getting Android 2.3.3 upgrade next week?