Today is a great day for you if your carrier of choice is C Spire (formerly known as Cellular South) and your device of choice is either the Samsung Galaxy S or the Motorola Milestone X. See, both these phones have now received updates to Android 2.3 Gingerbread from C Spire.
And it was about time, with the next version of Android for phones (Ice Cream Sandwich) already announced. Anyway, now’s not the time to be angry. Instead, if you have the Galaxy S, go and install the Kies desktop software and do the update thing. Yes, you’ll need to use a computer.
Aside from taking your Samsung smartphone to Gingerbread, the update will also improve battery life, IMAP/POP3 email performance, account and contact sync performance (think Facebook), and it will increase the MMS maximum size from 512 KB to 1 MB. If you’re interested in the full details, look no further than this PDF.
The Gingerbread update for the Motorola Milestone X devices sold by C Spire has started rolling out yesterday. This update will come over-the-air, so a computer is not needed to apply it. Your phone should prompt you when the update has reached it, but if it didn’t then you can always manually check by going to Settings > About phone > System updates. With your fingers crossed, naturally. The update for the Milestone X also brings a new version of the oft-hated Motoblur UI overlay alongside the Gingerbread bits.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Cellcom Samsung Galaxy S Showcase, Motorola Milestone X will be updated to Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- Verizon Motorola Droid 2 Android Gingerbread update now rolling out, Milestone 2 will get it in Q4
- C Spire launches the Motorola Milestone X2, priced at $99.99 with contract
- Motorola Milestone Android 2.2 Froyo update now available
- US Cellular Samsung Mesmerize Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread update now available